Yes, centipedes are generally venomous. Most species of centipedes possess venom glands and use venom to immobilize or kill their prey. They are carnivorous creatures that feed on insects, spiders, other invertebrates and sometimes small vertebrates. Centipedes inject venom into their prey through specialized pincers called forcipules, which are located near their mouths.
While centipede venom is primarily used for hunting and subduing prey, some species of centipedes can also inflict painful bites on humans if they feel threatened or provoked. The severity of a centipede bite can vary depending on the species and individual, ranging from mild pain and swelling to more severe reactions such as localized tissue damage and allergic reactions.
It’s worth noting that although centipedes are venomous, most species are not considered dangerous to humans. However, if you are bitten by a centipede and experience severe symptoms or an allergic reaction, it is important to seek medical attention.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. – Benjamin Franklin