Yes, Komodo dragons are venomous. They possess glands in their lower jaws that produce a toxic substance, which is then delivered through ducts and into their saliva. Although they were previously thought to rely solely on their powerful jaws and bacteria-laden bites to incapacitate their prey, recent research has revealed that the venom of Komodo dragons plays a significant role in subduing their victims.
The venom of Komodo dragons contains a mix of toxic proteins that can lead to a drop in blood pressure, excessive bleeding, and inhibit blood clotting. When a Komodo dragon bites its prey, the venom is introduced into the wound, increasing the likelihood of a successful hunt. The combination of the dragon’s powerful bite, sharp teeth, and venomous saliva makes them formidable predators.
It is worth noting that the primary cause of death for prey animals attacked by Komodo dragons is typically blood loss or septicemia caused by the bacteria in the dragon’s mouth, rather than the venom itself. However, the venom’s effects on blood pressure and blood clotting are thought to contribute to the overall success of the Komodo dragon’s hunting strategy.
Winning is not everything, its the only thing – unknown